LF: Answers to some JT9 questions

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Answers to some JT9 questions
From: Joe Taylor <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 09:15:43 -0400
Sender: [email protected]

GM/GA all,

1. Alberto/I2PHD and others have asked whether details of the JT9 protocol are described somewhere. At present the only full description is the one implicitly contained in the source code, which is openly available at http://developer.berlios.de/projects/wsjt/ . In due course I will provide a summary document describing the source encoding, error-control coding, interleaving and bit-ordering scheme, and modulation details. (At this point it's possible that a few of these things could still change, depending on user feedback.)

2. Roger/G3XBM and others asked whether a WSPRnet-like database might be made available. Yes, this could be useful, and in principle WSPRnet itself could accept reception reports from WSJT-X. I will give some thought to adding such a feature, and I'll consider having WSJT-X support standard WSPR-format messages such as "WA1ABC FN42 37". I should mention, however, that the principal intent of JT9 and WSJT-X is to enable 2-way QSOs at MF and LF, with very narrow bandwidths and very weak signals. In the longer term, I do not wish that our MF/LF frequencies will be used mostly for beacon-like transmissions.

3. WSJT-X will continue to evolve in coming weeks. The JT9 decoder is not yet fully optimized, and other enhancements are in the works, as well. Surely there will be bugs in the early program releases: bug reports and requests for new features will be most welcome!

-- 73, Joe, K1JT