LF: DL-DU, EW6GB, SL NB

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: DL-DU, EW6GB, SL NB
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 23:17:44 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
George, Andrej, LF,

I've run a splitted EU-60 grabber window now for some time, waiting until a relatively weak signal appears to times of high QRN.

Attached is that splitted spectrogram of the grabber, showing "GB" in QRSS-60 on 136.1698 kHz, by Andrej/EW6GB.

As visible, the spectrograms are taken in Spectrum Lab. The upper half shows the LF signal without band limiting and noise blanking, as done in many other programs. The lower half shows the same signal from the same instance but taken from behind a 2.5 kHz wide band filter and a noiseblanker.

Without the NB, GB is invisible or not readable. When using the NB, GB is clearly visible! The effect is impressive when QRN crashes are strong, nearby thunderstorms and that stuff. In the typical daylight LF background noise the effect is less expressed.

Yes yes, all this is not new but we have some newcomers on LF and so it may be useful to demonstrate the effect of the SpecLab noiseblanker.

73, GL, Stefan/DK7FC