Re: LF: Copied G3XDV

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Copied G3XDV
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 10:02:22 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Stefan,

Congratulations on the night's activity. It certainly chowed how many
people are still interested in 136kHz, even if many are just
listening. This is the main advantage of Opera.

> I just copied your OP8 beacon at -31 dB S/N, my first LF Opera decode
> ;-)
> BUT!: You have been visible on my grabber in QRSS-3 about M copy with
> some QSB. Hmmmm...!??!! ;-)

Op8 is very similar to QRSS3 in effectiveness, except that you can
interpret an 'M' signal when Opera cannot.

> Also congrats for the decode at TF3HZ, i just saw it in the same
> round.

I got two decodes at marginal level, which I would expect as
Op8=QRSS3, and my QRSS120 has been received well at times with
Haldor.

I have been saying for years that we may be going wrong by aiming for
slower and slower modes on LF (not VLF which is different), because
the QSB destroys the gain of the narrower bandwidth. Instead, it may
be useful to exploit short-term peaks at faster speeds. It is, of
course, a compromise between speed.and signa/noise.

> Now attempting to reach the US. Not very realistic but Jay can do
> miracles!

Good luck!