Re: LF: RE: Class E etc

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: RE: Class E etc
From: "mal hamilton" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 18:48:22 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Pete es Co
The class C tube amplifer is the nearest you can get to class D or E and well designed would produce 70% efficiency.
The class D or E is not really an amplifier in the convential sense it is merely an RF switch at the frequency of interest and the voltage generated is increased by a step up transformer with probably 80% to 90% efficiency if you are lucky.
Like some have said a tube amp is more robust and tolerant of mismatch to antenna without smoke. Fets are good but can go bang if one is not careful about matching to load.
I have some Dentron amps for the HF bands and they have been going for years.
Fets are probably more manageable, compact  and safer regarding voltages, beware of tubes with voltages of a few K/volts at high current, like an electric chair!!
73 de mal/g3kev