Re: LF: Re: Beacon to the west

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Beacon to the west
From: "Roelof Bakker" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 14:57:02 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Hello Stefan,

I am monitoring 200 - 600 kHz every night with a PERSEUS SDR.
Propagation from Canada has been very consistent the last weeks.
Most nights, I can copy around ten non directional beacons from NFL.
There is also a distinct dawn enhancement around 02:30 UTC.

The last days it is a bit down, however this morning I had still aural copy from NDB BX on 220 kHz from Lourdes-de-Blanc-Sablon, Quebec over a 4100 km path.
Also NAVTEX reception from Canada on 490 kHz and 518 kHz has been observed.

Like you, it amazes me that propagation is as good as it is.
I have seen excellent summer propagation before, but that was early July, after the summer solstice.

The only way to find out if there is propagation or not is to check it every night. That is the main reason here for making overnight recordings and monitoring 518 kHz NAVTEX.

73,
Roelof, pa0rdt