Re: LF: Demonstrating audibility of weak signals - utilty to play with.

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Demonstrating audibility of weak signals - utilty to play with.
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 13:26:24 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; bh=JkprVh+6vubSjXGp1nZMLNmAN70/0Gl+gmmW6msRRyY=; b=bsrg9xKa270oJo1JWfZBaDQWNyG7KlH/aDpOMfPc2M8Mj2tZZlQJs4Ebiu7VXitljC iiAtjV+tEwnL29iXNrTcj135BAJWMIkfUtL6rrBHaQrGX5OkXMXYLEpRlUFDzAbAff+U psk63nwMPhGbxa7h9vntE8eScz5OXSoqezB+yE3YZGX9wEHq862OoVljqdvS8Zz8/SBI fZmekZEy4UIC50fKGM10OZo+VxMG2IeJ6gty3p/GJPVL9qcK/WTQA6sQA7Lv2JDF5LoX LPTHNa3RZuNz32YO3kankPuZdXZcGJnla/rIv3BLJar50sH4P62Mgo5c02kcgmy69aHs TjFg==
Sender: [email protected]
That's exactly my findings.  Most of those in the know assume the
ear's effective bandwidth to be somewhere in the region of 30 - 100Hz.
  7dB S/N in a signalling bandwidth is pretty typical of what any
power detection software can manage blindly - it is a mathematical
calculation that isn't too difficult to do.  And since that value
falls out of maths, its quite reasonable to expect ears to follow the
laws of physics / maths too.  So in a signal bandwidth, ears / eyes
and signal detection software based on pure non-coherent power
detection are all roughley equal.

Andy