Re: LF: Demonstrating audibility of weak signals - utilty to play with.

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Demonstrating audibility of weak signals - utilty to play with.
From: "Roelof Bakker" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 13:04:59 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Hello Andy,

Thank you for this little gem.

I have been playing with it for a while.
With a signal to noise ratio of -10 dB in 2500 Hz, I can copy a 10 WPM message with the output filter set to 2500 Hz. Estimating my brain ear system bandwidth as 50 Hz, the effective signal to noise ratio is 6.9 dB. This seems a bit on the low side, so the biological filter seems to be even narrower than 50 Hz.

Setting the output filter to 20 Hz, results in armchair copy.
The CW tone in this case is 300 Hz.

73,
Roelof, pa0rdt