LF: Re: Demonstrating audibility of weak signals - utilty to play with.

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Demonstrating audibility of weak signals - utilty to play with.
From: "Clemens Paul" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 12:45:45 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Andy,

thanks for the nice little program.
I've been playing a bit with the utility and wonder under which
circumstances clipping occurs.
See attached screenshot.
With the parameters used in this example there is clipping.
I guess the level in 1Hz BW, here 33dB is the crucial parameter?
Woud you mind to explain what output scaling means?

73
Clemens
DL4RAJ

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andy Talbot" <[email protected]> To: <[email protected]>; <[email protected]>; "RSGBTech" <[email protected]>
Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2012 12:10 PM

If you want to experiment with how weak signals  (tones and CW) sound
in accurately defined level of  noise ratio,  download the utility
below which is still in beta test stage.

It allows you to generate either a CW message of your choice, at any
speed, or a plain tone.  Gaussian noise is added to this at a level
determined by the S/N ratio requested.   S/N is calculated based on
any bandwidth of choice.  The output is then applied to a filter whose
bandwidth and centre frequency can be arbitrarily chosen.
The results are stored as .WAV files      Conditions of clipping or
too low a generated level are detected and you can adjust the ouput
scaling to compensate
.WAV files are stored in the same directory the software is run from.

There are no instructions, user manual or anything else, just the
programme itself which I hope is self explanatory

http://www.g4jnt.com/DownLoad/SNDemo.exe
or, if your browser or nanny-software objects to .EXE files, save
http://www.g4jnt.com/DownLoad/SNDemo.eex    and change the file type
to  .EXE

I've tested the files generated with Spectran and Gram to make sure
the S/N ratios generated look correct, based on the spectrum display;
all seem to agree within a dB or two.   (Exact figures depend on
things like effective bin size due to windowing in the  FFT the
spectrum analyser)

Enjoy

Andy
G4JNT

-----
E-Mail ist virenfrei.
Von AVG überprüft - www.avg.de
Version: 2012.0.2171 / Virendatenbank: 2425/4992 - Ausgabedatum: 11.05.2012