Re: LF: Re: PIC Projects with no HEX code

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: PIC Projects with no HEX code
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 14:51:45 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=I/bbHKfiW4q0BM/drIZHXvj0QsrImmlut78J2Yy6WjY=; b=FOXgXs3QXnBvXLz7WdifLLVi3Z9svcFcGEpcOKPKGDF0uoQ3NeLV0MLl+j/sIN62EH 3Ibzjru29lnZVhIEp6SaXl6CHFlQYUKmbGAu4UydaGcJyNvWxYHui/I+u5SqMGQYddMn ag5JghRPvAZvCaZLq/5Xa+MbD/JTu4qxss0h18213AnW3d1qI7Bg6vwjgBypL/3YN21U zLh0UHV8Mx0tLJ5OH1D386vs7MwCKGNv47OuQIdMV+e4ko1vrLxTEljDVgPROd7k6fD7 jFdqyhmFZCoRGGmp2nVFM4zNLF4LiwtYhuNe7GUCtcwAZqMw6IbSQVszb6MeMs0apniB WyBg==
Sender: [email protected]
Pete -
I'm not sure what you really mean when you say printed hex, text etc.
The .HEX file is the binary contents of the PIC as produced by the
compiler / assembler, stored in a manner that is pure ASCII text, but
pretty meaningless to the human miind.  It contains the HEXadecimal
contents of the programme space and any EE memory, address locations
and checksums.    Provided printed versions of that totally
pointless, and no one should ever dream of trying to modify them with
an editor.   Not least, you would destroy the checksum and any
programmer worth its salt would throw out the corrupted file.

Have you been trying to do that?

As Alan pointed out previously, many software authors provide .HEX
files so their own IP isn't taken / stolen while at the same time
making the result freely availalble.   All you can do with that is
load it and 'blow' your own devices.

The next atage is to look at published source code.  This wil be a
.ASM (or assembler) file and may often have several include files in
addition (often of file type  .INC, but could be anything the author
calls them)  These are turned into .HEX files by the assembler.

BUT these days not all assembly files are created equal.  I have
always only ever exclusively used Microchip standards and all their
products, namely the MPASM assembler for producing the code.   But I
think some other third party  designers of PIC development "systems"
have in their infinite wisdom decided to use their own assembly
instructions.   Hence not all .ASM files compile universally.   I have
met this twice now when users have reported not being able to assemble
the many .ASM files I provide.

Well, Caveat Emptor.   If they choose to not use Microchip standard
products for Microchip design products... that's just Tough and their
problem..   And if, as I suspect may occasionally be the case, they
don't spot the difference between true assembly and PIC code written
in C well .    there's not much more to add!

For device programmers for "blowing",  its a lot simpler.  Any
programmer can make use of the .HEX files generated when the assembler
has done its job correctly.  At least here the standards are universal
- mostly thanks to Intel back in the year dot minus one.  And if some
obscure programmer can't understand that format, throw it away and get
a better one.

Andy
www.g4jnt.com