Re: LF: WOLF DATA MODE S/N FIG ?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: WOLF DATA MODE S/N FIG ?
From: wolf_dl4yhf <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 11:51:08 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Hello Andy and group,

you wrote:

> What I don't know about Wolf, are any details about how the decoding is done. Although Opera isn't documented, it is quite obvious how the decoding must work to acheive the performance it does, and is no doubt very similar to that in WSPR/JTxx which is well documented But the overlying of repeated messages in Wolf is in a different area, and perhaps its author could say a bit more.
<

It would be nice if Stewart Nelson, KK7KA was still around, but I haven't heard from him for a long time. So here's my two cents about the decoder. I didn't change it for the WOLF GUI; the algorithms in the following sourcecode archive is basically unchanged:

http://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/wolf/wolf_source.zip

The decoder is, like the rest of the 'core', in wolf.cpp .
It includes the pseudo-noise correlation, Viterbi decoder, and all the 'interesting' stuff.

The red tape (soundcard audio handling, using an extra worker thread) is in WolfThd.cpp. The WOLF decoder runs in it's own thread. WOLF_Main() called from WolfRxThdFunc() is a replacement for the old main() in the DOS program. It repeatedly calls rcv() for reception. rcv() then calls a bunch of other subroutines - I'd have to examine the code myself to understand what each of these functions does. To be honest, there are a few functions which I don't understand myself completely. So just a few points: The decoder doesn't correlate along the time scale, but also tries different frequencies (which is the reason that the decoder requires more CPU power depending on the frequency range).

A short description of the files is in "readme_1st.txt", but since the innards of the decoder and encoder have not been modified (compared with Stewart's original work), I didn't take the time back then to describe how the decoder works exactly.

Have a nice sunday,
   Wolf  DL4YHF .

In fact, I'd say Wolf has beenhiding its possibilities in the bushes, capable of far greater development than non coherent modes and probably even more effective on the LF bands than OP32. Don't forget, the first Transatlantic reception of 73kHz used Wolf. Back in the last century Andy www.g4jnt.com 2012/1/28 Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>:
...so Andy, would you suggest it may be useful even on VLF, where the phase
is rather stable over a longer time?

73, Stefan