Re: LF: WOLF DATA MODE S/N FIG ?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: WOLF DATA MODE S/N FIG ?
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 21:10:45 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=yfZAt71bThF6UZH7dni41DRqjHyu44tTJ/EWUjr+ZEY=; b=s87Y72GoO36UQvT6cv4utAeU2HZyYCXmauu8KS9sLxliNjw2xpxyI45GUAdFfGEzZv wn2o1xsHa5uoxvpcZFwAz8omjABOeRvLgE6CNzMsQSgLzrLGCmJHgFQPM8DZIk89VjkW nD/foKoKKgDHLKGnaP4pZtwOiv3aZutIwx9zQ=
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Jim ..

If it "had" to reacquire the PN sequence every frame, there could be
no coherent addition.   Since the data transmissions are contiguous, I
assume it will be continuously locked to the running code, using a
sliding correlator.    Provided the code is being generated locally,
it can be always compared against that received and a continuous
correlation performed.  Teh result of this nudges the locally
generated copy to keep it in phase

Its what GPS does.  The underlying GPS data is modulated at 1kHz which
is the PN code repeat rate, and is the bandwidth required (at least in
the first two generation receiver types) that initial lockup works
with.

Once the system is locked, it can drop to the lower 50Hz effective
bandwidth corresponding to the transmitted data.   So, until the third
generation three dimensional deep search receivers arrived round about
2006 - 7, GPS lockup needed 13dB more signal than for tracking.

Wolf would appear to behave similarly.

Andy
www.g4jnt.com