Re: LF: 16 bit vs 24 bit ADC?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 16 bit vs 24 bit ADC?
From: Alberto di Bene <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 17:40:13 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Z-usanet-msgid: XID538PLBqOq2768X36
On 12/2/2011 4:53 PM, Bill de Carle wrote:
My question is this:
In a practical situation with low QRN/QRM, would going to a
24-bit ADC soundcard result in an ability to detect a weak LF signal
that would not show up on a Spectrum Lab display computed from 16-bit values?
In theory, of course yes. But you English-speaking people have a very pragmatical saying :
"The proof of the pudding is in the eating..."    :-)

It would be interesting to see weak signal receptions done both with a 16-bit sound card,
and 24-bit one, under the same conditions, and compare them.

But there is one thing that must be kept always in mind. Medium-to-high class 24-bit sound cards,
like e.g. the Delta 44, have a nominal amplitude resolution of 24 bits.  Tests done by Leif
SM5BSZ (if I recall correctly) showed that only 19 to 20 of those 24 bits are meaningful....
the rest is just noise.

Perhaps, but this is just speculation on my side, going to a bit more professional 24-bit card,
like the Lynx2 or the E-MU 1212M, could gain another bit (maybe two) of resolution....
Both those cards use what is considered the best audio codec chip, the AK-5394A.

These are the specs of the E-MU card :  (I am not a reseller of them...  :-)   )

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15089947/emu1212mspec.gif

73  Alberto  I2PHD