Re: LF: 16 bit vs 24 bit ADC?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 16 bit vs 24 bit ADC?
From: Bill de Carle <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2011 14:16:12 -0500
Sender: [email protected]
Well Alberto, this morning I have egg on my face, as we English-speakers sometimes say :-)

Late last night (when I was half asleep) I posted a small .jpg showing 2 cropped screen captures, top using 16 bits of ADC data, bottom using 12 bits. The image seemed blurry compared to what was actually on the SL screens, maybe due to the lossy .jpg compression. Today I made a clearer picture: ran two SL analyses, one from the original 16-bit recorded data, the other covering the same time interval but chopped to 12-bit ADC values. Last night's comparison used one real-time screen capture and one re-processed capture - the time spans were not identical and I tried (apparently unsuccessfully) to get the SL brightness and contrast sliders for the re-processed screen to match those that were currently in effect on the real-time screen. This time I made both captures by analyzing the recorded data sets (16-bit and 12-bit ADC values, otherwise identical files). I adjusted the brightness/contrast to my taste after the 16-bit file was finished (before taking that screen capture), then made very sure the settings were left untouched while I processed the 12-bit file. Today I used .BMP screen captures to avoid the .jpg smearing, then made a composite image and converted it to .GIF format (lossless compression) so it would go through the reflector. Now the two images look exactly like they appeared on the SL screens. Guess what? Although there must be subtle differences because the cropped .BMP files have different CRC's, I cannot see any differences with my old eyes but then again I am not an image afficionado :-) The attached file 16_vs_12.gif has 16-bit ADC samples on top, 12-bit ADC samples on bottom. No significant visual difference!

I guess my question has been answered.  Thanks again for the discussion.
73,
Bill VE2IQ