Re: LF: TA: VO1NA...

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: TA: VO1NA...
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 13:47:28 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Joe,

Am 08.12.2011 02:40, schrieb [email protected]:
Hi Stefan,

Can you try some CW.  There is no doubt that your signal is audible.
Really? That is great! I never expected that all that what happens in the last months will be possible for me on a fixed antenna.

I've been in bed to the time you wrote that mail here at 2 AM local, sorry.

Well, about CW, sure i can TX CW within SpecLab and also my hardware is ready for handmade CW, just the key is somewhere else. I would be very interested in a wav file to hear my CW on the other side of the pond, so if this is possible please record a minute for me :-) I think i won't hear you in CW, at least from the location where my RX is running. I could try from /p in a quiet location with my ferrite antenna which is much better! But that may be a high effort to go in the forest in darkness (aaaah, help!! ;-) ). What do you think is the best time for a longer QSO? If we come to a QSO, i would like to do a "real" QSO, not just "NA FC O K" or so. I think i can receive you in DFCW-10 or so. You can check that from time to time on my LF grabber at http://www.iup.uni-heidelberg.de/schaefer_vlf/DK7FC_LF_Grabber.html

Another question is the frequency? What would you suggest? Should i TX on 136.172 and you on 137.777? Sometimes there is QRM due to luxembourg effect signals (as Markus explained me) near DCF and HGA. So a frequency in the center of the band may be more suitable.

Anyway, the first and only question is the time. I've been watching out for you yesterday and made some longer breaks between my transmissions but saw no NA. Later i called you in DFCW-15 which was nicely received by W1VD (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19882028/LF/W1VD_DK7FC_DFCW15.jpg). I wasn't sure if DFCW-15 is a good choice since it may be to fast for a slow scrolling spectrogram. Also i have to use a higher shift (choosed 1 Hz) which may become problematic if other stations are transmitting in that EU60 DX sector. So i thought it may be the best if we QSY to 137.70 for a QSO but i am not sure if you can quickly resonate to another frequency. For me, QSY takes about 1 minute in the current hardware situation.

So, what do you suggest?

I suggest simply running beacon transmissions and watching the RX during the breaks. If i can see you then in my QRSS-10 window (splitted spectrogram on my LF grabber) with suitable S/N i would QSY to 137.7 and call you. If you can hear me in CW, then DFCW-3(or4) should be no problem at all, even if there is a QSB of 10 dB.

Looking forward to all! :-)

73, Stefan/DK7FC