Re: LF: Re: Over the Pole - towards Eu

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Over the Pole - towards Eu
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 19:49:23 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btinternet.com; s=s1024; t=1320349764; bh=i/jR39RHVwLWjduZUPeP6Sxjt1ofmW12Epp31B3qL4c=; h=X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Antivirus:X-Antivirus-Status; b=AgYRGti+4q5opEmET/h/Cxy0r9hgNs4rk0f/TnsP2apZ+uybZs8grdX6t7MalP6BIz1/QhqZ0gg4freO21GuqnByttV4Esb14eH3BrxGXjk38mSmdKiaX+qJXz3ndCik5XILa/LjkQ2eAxAzJoh5VyLlAQX+yAXuH1/3Vn5GvjU=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=DKIM-Signature:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Antivirus:X-Antivirus-Status; b=v9SRG2OFQ2XmUFR19Y3ZFuChWWrIsCLhaFji1fiSmL1+KaC9TN4TqHwQ0LpvUW91gaM0DloiFaUHsvz9+cNTNQv3XtRLZ8qpRUL9J9qGrfcQIFHViHkuoZWvkJtN7jErX+RD5UjuywDxz10F8VWPwZKaIY9eYVS8USowOUKkO1k= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Roelof
I dont think there is any evidence of conditions "improving" just before a
Geomag.  event, though what is probably more important is that it is the
longest current period since the last event. I find the best indicator is
the level of the Dst index which measured the charge trapped in the
Equatorial Ring current (the Van Allen belts). This leaks into the D-ragion,
increasing absorption and reducing night-time long distance signal levels
every time they pass through the ionosphere. Unfortunately this is not the
only answer, there is always the possibility of multipath fading. Comparing
the responses of several stations at different locations (where the path
lengths will be different) can help help with this.

I think Kiel was a bit pessimistic the Kp only reached 5. The K index is a
measure of the magnetic shock it does not really indicated changes in the
ionisation levels in the ionosphere. The Dst doesnt do that either, but I
believe it gives a measure of the quantity of ions and electrons circulating
in a "reservoir" which exchanges charge with the ionosphere. This is why I
believe the best way is to watch a reliable source (TX) regularly so that
you spot changes from "normal". It is easy to spot what will be bad nights
but not easy to name the good ones :-))

Alan G3NYK