LF: Hummm....

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Hummm....
From: Laurence KL7UK <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 13:27:54 -0800
Sender: [email protected]
One of the surprising things about the heavily indistrial and compact Island of Singapore was the lack of Hum at VLF - even in the middle of the city in some of the Greener areas VLF reception was really very good with only mild Humm, even surrounded by building.  Again most of the power was underground, the water table was very close to the surface and most of the high rise HDB buildings were off Faraday cage type with Earthed rebar. Guess it all added up to an effective screen.

If I compare that with here in Oklahoma where Ive yet to find a location (except for weak humm in the middle the Tall Grass Praire reservation surrounded by Bison) its really noisy at 60Hz here dominated by overhead 60Hz antennae. (Where I live in Alaska is pretty bad too)

Laurence KL7UK/5 Northern Okie