Re: LF: 136.172 khz 15oct11

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 136.172 khz 15oct11
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 03:09:24 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Dex,

Am 16.10.2011 02:27, schrieb Dexter McIntyre W4DEX:
I consider myself to have a good basic understanding of electronics and RF but have to depend on people like you to do the design work.
Oh, and i learned a lot from DF6NM or ON7YD (LF pages) or M0BMU or DJ1ZB or G4JNT or DL4YHF.... We are all learning from each other. A good group!

The people on this and other radio groups have helped me tremendously. If I were forced to name a few it would be W1TAG and W1VD.

And BTW what is your RX system you use on LF?

Recently I've been using an Icom R-75 receiver with no added options. I was considering either adding the high stability oscillator or locking it to an external timebase. But the receiver has been so drift free I see no advantage in improving it. I also have a HP-3586B and a W/G SPM-19. For weak signal LF reception all perform the same.

Presently I'm down to two LF antennas for receive. The tuned transmit antenna and a vertical wire of about 20 meter length over a tree limb. This wire is located close to 200 meters from my house in a wooded area. The wire is connected to a ground rod through a high to low impedance transformer. 75 ohm coax brings it to the house where the coax is isolated with a 1:1 transformer. Seldom can I see any difference between these two antennas for LF reception. A PAØRDT mini-whip works great for portable use but I can't easily get it above the large oak trees surrounding my house.
Tnx for description. You all seem to have a good location for a RX antenna. Here i am 35m above ground and there are almost no trees but 100s of PCs running that building, with their Y caps within the SMPS on the protection earth wire that is unfortunately connected to the lightning arrester wire at some places. Thus i have to go /p for CW DX and think about a link to a forest antenna for the grabber...

I'm looking forward to seeing a signal from that new coil!
Me too :-) The wire is alredy in the post and will arrive here on tuesday i think. Will take just some few days then ;-)

73, Stefan/DK7FC