Re: LF: Lowe HF250 problems

To: [email protected], [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Lowe HF250 problems
From: John Rabson <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 16:36:34 +0200
Cc: Tracey Gardner <[email protected]>, Robin Gape <[email protected]>, Alan Melia <[email protected]>
Sender: [email protected]
LF, Lowe group, Tracey, Alan, Robin,

That receiver is now operating correctly. Thank you very much for your help.

Nothing abnormal was found inside the box, but upon checking the DC supply to
the receiver it turned out to be abnormally low and not too stable. This was
traced to a faulty connector which had four diodes build in as a bridge
rectifier to provide protection against reverse polarity.  It appeared that one
or more diodes had gone sour.

Looking at the circuit diagram I see that the HF250 has built-in protection so
the diodes are not necessary.  The connector was replaced with one that did not
have diodes in, the voltage presented to the receiver is what it should be, and
the stations I use as a reference (HGA, DCF and  France Inter) now all have the
expected readings on the S meter.

Again many thanks.

John F5VLF