RE: LF: Conditions

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: LF: Conditions
From: Laurence KL7UK <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 06:29:01 -0800
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Stefan -

It gets a little better, ie a few more dB's strength wise but whats important for 8970 is probably the background "blue" youll see on the screen ie the QRN. GBZ/FTA doesnt get much stronger than indicated on the overnight snap.

Optimum path for comms at DHO freq would indicate the middle of Night Eu time, which is kind of challenging at your end - and from Alaska when Im not getting South or Central Pacific/Asia QRN which rises later. As you pointed out DHO isnt 8970 but s/n wise Im guessing its pretty indicative but probably more flat signal strength wise than 23kHz

Ill be in Alaska at home (hurrah) over the Christmas period and installing a new VLF (larger) array, and GPS discplined 10MHz/500Hz ref's which Ive built down here which may help a tadge but looking at the results so far it isnt too shabby.

Ive been built around over the past couple of years on one side but still have the water/ice (Lake) path on the Eu heading. Id love to remote power preamp but the animals and darkness/snow etc make it very challenging just to keep it up remotely.

 I want to have at least two loops so I can point one down the West Coast towards Scott in VE7 as hes pretty much in a nullish position at the moment.  I could really do with more automation in remote switching USB/serial but things are a little tight at the moment. Ive got a spare rotator and need to get some thought into remote control....

Laurence KL7UK KL1X WE2XPQ etc