Re: LF: DCF39 detected_F/DK7FC...

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: DCF39 detected_F/DK7FC...
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2011 00:22:08 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Hello Scott, Piotr, LF,

Schnell ;-) Unfortunately i wasn't really schnell ;-) Haven't been on air this time :-(

The WX wasn't really suitable for such a kite transmission in that event. I arrived at Friday night in the dark and there was no wind at all. But the sky! There were 10000000000000000000s of stars, i have never seen so many stars at the sky. In Germnay, the density of citys and so the stray light is always to high to get such impressions! On saturday there was no wind first too. Later some wind came up before it became dark again. I lifted the kite to 200m above ground with the 8.1 m^2 kite. It pulled with about 30 kg, fine so far. But the wind direction moved the kite above a 20 kV line and close to a commercial tower where some VHF antennas were mounted. So if there would be a sudden loss in wind strength, we probably would have lost the kite, the electricity (2m contest crew would be angry) and some lives ;-) So i decided to pull the kite down again. But it was a nice picture to have it lifted for some time and a good fun. Later the wind turned to a suitable direction but thunderstorms and lightnings came up to that time... Everybody talked about rain and since it became dark, if put all the stuff back into the car. On sunday morning, there was almost no QRN, the wind was stable and the direction fine! Here, i could have been active. But it was time to put the tent and all the stuff back into the car since we (all) drove in the afternoon.

I have to learn something from that: I must be careful not to loose my optimism! If i would have arranged all the stuff a day before, there could have been a fine signal on the air, in stable wind conds, 1 kW TX power and a 200m vertical, maybe even in the late night or early morning. I have to remember that next year!

Piotr, anyway thanks for trying to receive me!
Should do some VLF work soon again and spend some hours on LF too. The LF system can be nice prepared during transmitting on VLF, enough time! ;-)

73, Stefan/DK7FC

PS: Scott, be sure i will take the challenge soon to appear on your grabber!