Re: LF: DCF39 detected

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: DCF39 detected
From: Scott Tilley <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2011 11:43:34 -0700
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Mal

I notice you didn't say impossible!

500KHz is a dead duck in Canada. The bureaucrats at RAC and IC have completely screwed up the implementation of the initiative for experimental testing. I've abandoned any plans to operate on that band as a result. Assuming that we someday get the band as an amateur allocation we should try. But until that day comes and assuming both you and I are still alive I'll focus my efforts on 137.

160m stations are common on the coast here. Many are well equipped as are the W7s to the south of us.

I think the lack of amateur success so far on the 137 EU/VE7 path is largely due to a lack of serious effort by well equipped stations. Peaks in DCF39 have occured in the passed that lead me to believe it may be possible to detect amateur signals on 137. Only a concerted and focus experiential will prove or disprove this as the path is so wildly variable.

With respect to other stations in VE7 on 137:

VE7SL, Steve - 100' vertical on the ocean with a shiny new TIL KW amp he completed this summer. He's a 'contender'. VE7BDQ, John - has a smallish vertical on suburban lot. Not lots of ERP but he has proven to have very good ears when compared to my grabber and VE7SL's capabilities. VA7JX, Jack - Sub-urban low vertical, Jack has good ears but is still working on improving ERP.

73 Scott