Re: LF: Re: Ferrite Loops

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Ferrite Loops
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 13:52:39 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btinternet.com; s=s1024; t=1313499472; bh=+7DVpg/kWTn7CXOBp22fR0i6MKzSWGMoaJuC3tQf2+o=; h=X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=f6aADBjjUZqLB40yyt1yeeY3Pm13ozAKSP1isYARfwSO8E5H6STO00b6lgvCfVXs3Qy9+C+jRJbLJXhN4v6PZB+oqEfjbnyDaOMrF513aZaKmspx+XVl6R7S3+P03LY9VSGjio+JUMh6DZoIdroAXl9ZbLzY5I1jBgDWgtDw/B8=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=DKIM-Signature:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=KI/SbO9IWWoUzcwUBvQ9VHcQodzzVn5ie79vTp8aPR1x0XD4vxyxG4IRDZOcWkoomF4TU0bKeH61iLuEEkNZDu7CKT8Acz+lQtCPO+OBXmG1CzAZo3R/f/qFOgRYG0uH/KSdZoJzNV7S88feVqfrFkzHbtMD6FouXuMKSrljuCk= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Roger this can be done and was written up by Derek G3GRO I  think in one
of the early (Blue cover) LF Source books that Peter Dodd edited. The
message seemed to be to adjust the coil so that for tuning there is minimum
penetration of the ferrite into the coil.

If you do it this way you do not necessarily need ferrite. I did some
experiments with a 36mm coil and I used a couple of iron-dust toroids,
cemented onto a plastic rod. The diameter was just such as to fit into the
coil former. This was for adjusting the L in a Class E stage so the
inductance would probably not be enough for aerial loading (about 100uH) on
137 but might work for 500kHz.

Alan G3NYK