RE: LF: Re: Ferrite Loops

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: LF: Re: Ferrite Loops
From: Rik Strobbe <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 22:17:36 +0200
Accept-language: nl-NL, nl-BE
Acceptlanguage: nl-NL, nl-BE
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Roger,

in the early days of 136kHz I did use a "ferrite rod variometer" for fine tuning the antenna.
It was a 700uH coil (abt. 100 winding of 1mm CuL on a 10cm diameter former if I remind well), with a ferritte rod that could be inserted at the center of the coil. Inserting the rod completely increased the inductance to abt. 1mH.
I did test my complete supply of ferrite rods (abt. 50) and with almost all of them inserting the rod caused a nefast loss and the rods got very hot with 100W RF. But a couple of rods got only lukewarm and the losses were neglectable compared to ground loss.
Interesting was that these low loss rods also introduced the smallest variation of L (abt. 50% increase) while with some of the lossy rods I could increase the L up to 2.5mH.

I did use this variometer for a while and it worked fine, but after increasing power to 450W even the low loww rods got too hot and I had to use a traditional variometer.

73, Rik  ON7YD