LF: Poor antennas

To: "rsgb" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Poor antennas
From: "mal hamilton" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 20:07:09 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
LF
It now takes hundreds of watts to be observed or heard around EU on 137 Khz whereas some years back less than 200 watts achieved a good result like a QSO on CW. The 130 watt Ropex used by many resulted in many CW QSO'S,
In those days most Amateurs were using normal antennas like loaded inv L systems or some sort of vertical for both RX es TX.
At present the trend seems to be probe or small loop antennas and these do not seem to produce enough signal capture to the RX.
The DX that I have worked in the past all had large antenna systems.
These are my observations, maybe others have another theory.
de mal/g3kev