LF: VLF in Spain

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: VLF in Spain
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 12:18:30 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hello José,

OK. Do you already have a receiver for VLF? If so, which one? The PC's soundcard? Or do you just guess that you have strong QRM?
Many stations are in the city, like 4X1RF, SQ5BPF and me. Anyway there is good reception, 4X1RF even at above 2500 km! Others are in the countryside and have never really got good reception, so mostly its an EMC issue.
Thus i would suggest to built a suitable antenna and run a suitable software and monitor the total spectrum of your soundcard input which is mostly 0...24 kHz, often called "wideband". You can see these windows running on many grabbers such as
http://www.mydarc.de/df6nm/vlf/vlfgrabber.htm
http://www.ok2bvg.cz/vlfgrabber/
http://qsl.net/4x1rf/yo/vlfgrabber.htm
http://simnet.is/halldorgudmunds/TF3HZ_VLFgrabber/index.html
http://www.iup.uni-heidelberg.de/schaefer_vlf/DK7FC_VLF_Grabber.html and many others.
Then, you'll get immediately an impression of the actual situation and see effects like mains hum, sferics and the Alphas system and some MSKs.
Seeing the Alphas and the sferics (i.e. the gap arround 8...11 UTC) is a first good indicator for sensitivity!

Actually all you need is a few Euros to build that RX antenna which can be a loop or a E field antenna. Mosty receptions were done with the E field antennas which have some advantages due to their low weight and volume. But loop antennas have shown very good results as well, mostly in quiet locations (like Paul Nicholson, F4DTL, M0BMU...).

73, Stefan/DK7FC