Re: LF: Re: VLF in Spain

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: VLF in Spain
From: Daniele Tincani <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 23:00:50 -0700 (PDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com; s=s1024; t=1308204050; bh=iyPmck1Wt7qoJWGXiU6W0+i7F8NY1c7A26wxYL2rED8=; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:References:Date:From:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=JVeACIblHkXK5IRg/MH87i7dn/jVGTzivVKvvWosY/DWU9mVaEBItQ00QAHmq+PREf83hVo2ybeSbC/cOVM5gr4Ria/rMRoGHqoRK+uLy01eNvP8eKBx1xCbmOJIKY19E2xxCXH6RL8SbUMfpWusjNv+x6nIEl33zsoceWS4ghw=
References: <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <8024ACF0F5734035BFE8E7BBDDF47EA8@a8b21ba06852476> <002f01cc29f2$be0a1ce0$0301a8c0@your91hoehfy9g> <2F6C8B8017984C2A8563736DA67284AA@PC2> <[email protected]> <A4E373519F3B494BB5C315337C0F880F@PC2> <[email protected]> <11891ECF261E4CD8AFD5EDD8F68DF13F@a8b21ba06852476> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]>
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Stefan, VLF,

yesterday evening I sent a message on this topic which probably was discarded because of > 200KB attachments. Anyway, I walked through old files on my hard disk looking for results of my tests with an active loop antenna and a couple of active whips. I can confirm that both the H-field antenna and the E-field ones performed more or less the same, because of the fact that performances were limited by my very noisy environment rather than by antenna characteristics. With either type of antenna there were no chances to receive Stefan's transmission in the 5KHz and 6KHz ranges, while it was possible to consistently receive the 8970Hz signal. In that case, the active loop showed some marginal advantages, probably because of its directional radiation pattern and nulling capabilities. However I have to remark that during my tests the E-field antennas were installed on my balcony at 5th floor (the same as the loop antenna), close to domestic noise sources, with no attempts to put them e.g. a few meters in the high by means of a fishing rod or other support, which probably would have produced significant improvements.
In fact, it is common opinion that E-probes perform very well if you can install them at least say 5 meters away from your house perimeter or high above the roof (and far from other noise sources of course). This is because in the near field they react mainly to the E component of noise, which is attenuated significantly by walls, distance, etc.. In case your are forced to stay close to your domestic environment or have other nearby noise sources like high-voltage powerlines, etc., may be a properly built loop antenna could offer some advantages because of its eigth-shaped radiation pattern and nulling capabilities.
I add a wideband capture of the spectrum at my location to show you how it looks usually. It was captured using an E-probe that I built based on Stefan's design.
Best regards
Daniele