Re: LF: Spectrum Lab Filtering...

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Spectrum Lab Filtering...
From: wolf_dl4yhf <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 17:45:49 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Markus and group,

Am 10.05.2011 15:59, schrieb Markus Vester:
Hi there,

I think Wolf's idea is to lock to 1 pps pulses from the GPS, and use the NMEA data to uniquely identify the second of each pulse. This will allow SpecLab to brigde data outages or sound buffer overflows on receive.
Exactly, that's one of the motivations. You will need a GPS receiver with NMEA *and* sync pulse ("pps") output. Both signals are added with a passive combiner, fed into the soundcard, and the software does the rest. The timing jitter for the NMEA strings doesn't matter at all.

Markus wrote:
I do not know if that technique could be used to stabilize sound output for transmitting as well. One would probably have to monitor the output, and then apply phase corrections if necessary.

Yes, the problem will be the unknown, and possibly not constant 'output latency' of the soundcard, and its driver software.

Cheers,
   Wolf .