LF: Re: LF CW center of activity??

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: LF CW center of activity??
From: "mal hamilton" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 13:43:53 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Stefan es Co
The procedure in the past was to use CW anywhere on the 137 khz band and
then Tune the band after a CQ for a reply, this is what I do because
everybody has their antenna resonated on a different frequency and it avoids
working off resonance, which is not recommended with HI Q antenna systems
and high power.
136.5 khz was used by those with the Ropex TX xtal controlled on that
frequency, then they would tune the band for replies for those with VFO ctl,
also avoid QRM.
In the beginning and for some years the only mode used was CW then QRS was
introduced and later Beacons.
Since the introduction of QRS and Beacons the LF population has dropped from
over 30 active countries and over 100 radio operators to virtually Nil at
present.
Data appliance operator activity more recently does not help either.
What used to be a regularily used band daily for cw activity is now a wast
of time and 500 MF has gone the same way.
Another factor is the QRP aspect which means the band is now a parochial
affair for local activity, mostly Beacons or Data whereas it was once an
International band with regular world wide QSO'S even in the summer time.
These are the facts
de G3KEV