Re: LF: Volcano eruption on my VLF-grabber

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Volcano eruption on my VLF-grabber
From: "Markus Vester" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 07:29:29 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Halldór,

for some reason, the Icelandic activity seems to have much more "bass response" below 4 kHz on your receiver. I have read that for fairly close lightning events, an enhanced ELF E-field component can be observed, resulting from the quasistatic field term. But with the source at about 200 km from you, this effect should appear only beneath about 240 Hz.

Yes WWLLN is clearly seeing the volcano, so there must be a significand fraction of cloud-to-ground lightning. However Blitzortung.org does not seem to pick it up, which is probably because due to their geographic distribution of detectors, and perhaps also to higher trigger thresholds.

Best 73,
Markus (DF6NM)
Sent: Saturday, May 21, 2011 11:51 PM

Hi Halldor & group

Interesting!  I can see the stationary blip on the WWLLN plot over Iceland, I guess that's your volcano.
73 Scott
VE7TIL