Re: LF: Decca faulty transformer?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Decca faulty transformer?
From: Warren Ziegler <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 14:20:51 -0400
Cc: Mike Dennison <[email protected]>
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date :message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=dpSMA0O3jdYn2XsHOFbzAjulpsZ8MKrl33WfN+kN2sM=; b=IVAUfH1oOTdUVuPv7wjAZbFinhUXLV/MeBQmAudDif+7uXJNVfvu1/o1VUSLc3RYSR 1iZpe6SrnGJSp6mJMIqz2NBiVcIwRYF1QTQMfeo3ppjPC3b8k2ezm++jV9qdhGBh5m12 Vwys2o3x2zG0Min5kLQeWJmp4vFT4iIIi7MyE=
Sender: [email protected]
Mike,

    I had this fault, I believe that it is not uncommon.
It can be caused by a nearby lightning strike or by severe mis-tuning
in either case a short develops due to a voltage breakdown of the
insulation.
While the dc resistance is quite low, the inductance is substantial (I
can check and e-mail the proper value later if you'd like), I would
recommend measuring the inductance.
The core is potted in epoxy or similar material, I think it would be
difficult to rewind but I haven't tried.

--
73 Warren K2ORS
                WD2XGJ