Re: VLF: QRM puzzle - why not the same in a split screen on SL?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: VLF: QRM puzzle - why not the same in a split screen on SL?
From: Markus Vester <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 13:20:38 -0400
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Roger, Chris, Eddie,

I am monitoring both slots here, and also often see railway QRM on 8970 but not on 8976. I believe that this is due to crystal controlled digital motor controllers, having a relatively stable switching frequency. This is very different from the simple RC (or LC) controlled power converters (notebook power supplies, energy saving lights, etc), which are often hum-modulated across several kHz.

For example, my neighbour's new dishwasher generates an repeating pattern of very stable lines on 137 kHz. There have been reports of divergent "spider" structures in spectrograms from controlled moter acceleration.

Should we move the Dreamer's band 6 Hz up?

Best 73,
Markus (DF6NM)