Re: LF: VLF reception - easily mistaken!

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: VLF reception - easily mistaken!
From: "Markus Vester" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 00:46:18 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
The OE3GHB grabber shows a long bright line on 8969.98 from 16:00 to 4:30. The sensitivity was not degraded, so perhaps only a local oscillator test.
Or a nighttime carrier from OK2BVG? But it looks stronger than the subsequent "KKK" which Lubos sent on 8970.02 / .04 from 6:00 to 15:45.

OE5ODL then shows a very bright "riser" from 6:15 to 14:15. This was his own transmission, also visible at DK7FC.

So probably two different signals, both on 8969.98. Could it be that Roger's screenshot has hints of both?

Best 73,
Markus (DF6NM)

Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 11:13 PM
Subject: LF: VLF reception - easily mistaken!

A word of caution to those of us looking for very weak signals around 8-9kHz.....

DJ8WX was copied here overnight without any doubt and my grabber was clearly able to see his close-down around 0700 today. The frequency and the trace timing corresponded perfectly. Likewise with G3XIZ and DK7FC/P some weeks ago.

This evening I was looking very carefully again at the Spectrum Lab screen from the last 24 hours in 424uHz BW and readjusting audio gain ranges, screen colour saturation and contrast. Out of the noise appeared another very very faint line, not at 8.970022 but at 8.96998kHz. I've attached the screen shot here (I have overlaid it with the time for clarity).

My immediate reaction was this must be Ossi OE5ODL. Then I checked his grabber and saw he was not operational overnight last night! So, what looked like a trace on his frequency cannot be him. It must instead be some artefact of SL or something else.

So, Mal is right (did I just say that? :-) ) that we have to be very careful when seeing traces at specific frequencies: it may be an indication of a given station, but without some modulation or turning on/off of the carrier a doubt remains.

Sadly I don't think I did see Ossi today after all, but I shall keep looking.

73s
Roger G3XBM
--
g3xbm-qrp.blogspot.com/