LF: Re: VLF reception - easily mistaken!

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: VLF reception - easily mistaken!
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 00:23:11 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btinternet.com; s=s1024; t=1300236062; bh=jDCzOYif3oRISLRpQh4gEd9gvR2UWye+pDPzLTZxVgo=; h=Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Antivirus:X-Antivirus-Status; b=vQVbAih+YlRU303FFpxt9kVmiIXU8w06Pr5yMz/Aj46N/WEPJMRQjQNi45PE+2q7xxpIEeyBURtAZkqggWOE2qrVCoyWfYRpZFjxyNYN3T6W4k+OF/sGiFAi/Z6Y2JS8Huhj0goNXixvY1KtKGK52mxl3tAXQMdjJiqHOzJ3/78=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=DKIM-Signature:Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Antivirus:X-Antivirus-Status; b=bCALim/hDTv74nIrhCaOg/jgtFSrekxiyArBVB6u5vlzMFVRyp8xh3lxSorhENJgj5XQb37qYmGi+ze8SBox8tCtQIulL9wNXVfsfdxWhm0+Hxz/3gBwTBX3UVu2risqAl0K17QHQbuIjwGezYAD/iHlFT/0mZWn2wko52E3mrQ= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Roger yes this is an old one. The thing is that most of the weak very
steady frequency lines one sees one cannot afford to ID by just the
frequency but it is one bit of data. I have found in the past that a small
freqency jump at a period that relates to the resolution being used it much
more sure. It doesnt need a full call-sign or even a morse letter (this is
not a qso band.....yet) a square wave shift is best. It is then possible to
do an auto-correlation on the signal to dig it out and prove the case.  One
can imagine a 30 min period shift of 50mHz :-)) I have found in the past
that the odd spurious transmissions never (well I never saw one) jump
frequency regularly. I tried to get our AMRAD friends to incorporate that on
their Part 5 station back around 2000 but it wasnt feasible with the TX.and
they were not really interested in DX, so the transmission was lost amonst
the Loran lines.

Alan G3NYK