Re: LF: VLF Whistler activity

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: VLF Whistler activity
From: wolf_dl4yhf <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 23:00:21 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Stefan,

Really impressing! Rather interesting than "real" radio! :-) I'm listensing since your mail appeared :-)
Wolf, is it your remote RX via VHF?
UHF - see previous post. In the 70 cm band.
As long as i don't go out of the city by at least 2 km i do not think i would get such a clean spectrum...

Guess how far it is from the remote receiver (@DF0WD) to my home... thus the yagis ;-)

Do you use SpecLab as a part of this system? Is the "Paul Nicholson's hum filter" in use?

Yes and no. The hum is removed by the FFT-based filter, operating in automatic multi-notch mode. All "stable carriers" (mains harmonics) which exceed a certain (variable) threshold are removed, nothing else. The older multi-stage comb filter sounded a bit too hollow because it removed *any* harmonic of 50 (or 60) Hz, even if there was no unwanted noise.

Unfortunately this cannot defeat the static rain (popping noise) which is just beginning as I write this :o(

73,
  Wolf .