Re: LF: Sub 9kHz antenna tests.

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Sub 9kHz antenna tests.
From: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2011 23:59:31 +0000
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Jim

Thanks for that, I knew we could depend on an analysis from you.

You confirm my thoughts and findings, I went for a step tuned, low loss loop, I get 20dB gain around >1kHz wide on tuning to 9kHz and can't see a need for a pre amp. With a self resonance around 600kHz it should be quite useful. My sound card is clean flat and quiet, I do appreciate the need for a pre amp to overcome a noisy one. I am trying out a 4 turn coupling loop I don't know what impedance this is giving me but it is a better match for a 4 to1 isolating transformer to the sound card than a 1 to 1 transformer and seems to work well.

Using this method there is no need for any filtering of lower or higher frequencies, one disadvantage being the rejection of MSK transmissions for frequency locking when the loop orientation nulls out the one you are using.

Given some fine WX I will do some more test outside, essential to get away from the computers and crud from mains appliances I find.

73 Eddie G3ZJO