Re: LF: Re: VLF Stability and soundcard locking

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: VLF Stability and soundcard locking
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 19:57:56 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Jim, VLF,

Am 12.03.2011 01:51, schrieb James Moritz:
Dear Andy, Wolf, LF Group,

Over last night and today I did some further tests with my cheapo USB sound card and calibration source, but this time using a different laptop PC. Result - after some fiddling, sample rate error indicated by SpecLab matches measured error of clock crystal frequency, and a nice glitch-free spectral line with 180uHz FFT resolution. So the erratic measured sample rate would seem to be more specific-PC-related than sound card related. I also got glitch-free results using the internal sound card of the desktop machine I tried the USB sound card with previously, which I guess would at least suggest the cause of the problem is not within SpecLab. [...]

Absolutely! I have done some TX tests in the last weeks after the mishap in my 10th experiment. There the DFCW-600 transmissions were quite fuzzy. I found that the reason seems not the be a EMC problem (strong local E fields near the antenna) but rather the PC. Local tests with locking to DHO38 showed that the signal was still fuzzy, so the GPS module isn't the source of errors as well.
Later i found that the signal is much clearer with another PC (more than 10 years old HP notebook, once running at win95).

Back to the netbook (running at win7): In the task manager i observed the CPU load and found some short and sudden peaks to 100% although no other programs were running and WLAN was disabled. I knew that everything was fine in the 9th experiment, with exactly the same hardware. So something must habe been changed.

The solution: Before some time i changed the netbooks energy saving mode. It reduces the CPU power if traffic is low. But the reduced power seems not to be enough for SL, sometimes. So the system toggles between low and high load and this seemed to produce the massive phase glitches. Now i choosed "maximum power" mode (QRO! :-) )and get a nice and stable trace, even in the 6000 window. The trace looks "perfect" in 600 of course.

So i hope to be able to produce a well readable signal in my 11th experiment that will be in April.

73, Stefan/DK7FC