LF: OT (a bit): Tinnitus and 9kHz broadcast intermod?

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: OT (a bit): Tinnitus and 9kHz broadcast intermod?
From: Roger Lapthorn <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 18:09:20 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Whilst experimenting recently I had an "off the wall" thought that I'll share here and seek opinions (or ridicule!). It is to do with tinnitus (ringing in the ears) that affects a number of people in different ways. Some experience this as noise and some as a distinct tone. Some people can be seriously disabled by this condition which is always there day and night.

Most grabbers, including mine, show a strong signal at 9kHz which is caused by intermod between LW/MW broadcast stations. Now, is it possible that some forms of tinnitus are caused by non-linear mixing in teeth fillings, or some other source of non-linearity in the body/head, producing an audible  9kHz tone that is conducted through bone into the ears?  I've heard some people claim to have detected AM broadcast stations via tooth fillings and believe there is some evidence to support this.

So, could some tinnitus be simple broadcast signal intermod and envelope detection within the human body? One way of testing would be to check the frequency of a sufferer's tinnitus and if around 9kHz place the subject in an RF screened room and see if the symptoms disappear.

No doubt I will be told this is total rubbish, but I'm not proud, HI.

73s
Roger G3XBM
--
g3xbm-qrp.blogspot.com/