Re: LF: Earth-mode or not earth-mode

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Earth-mode or not earth-mode
From: Jacek Lipkowski <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 19:00:00 +0100 (CET)
Sender: [email protected]

On Thu, 3 Feb 2011, John Rabson wrote:

Some years ago, we tried using a small loop to couple a Heyphone (4 W output on 87 kHz) into a running rail in a disused railway tunnel in the English Midlands (we had permission from the owners of the line). A similar setup was used for receive and we achieved a range of 1.6 km along the line.

1.6km is a very good result, since a Heyphone is basically a lf ssb transceiver so you probably used voice, and the loop was probably unmatched. you would achieve much larger distances if you tried qrss with a better matched antenna. you can try this with overhead powerlines in rural areas too if you can fit your signal between the harmonics. long phone lines work well too.

btw. i have tried running a few watts at 8.9kHz to a loop abt. 1.5x2.5m in the middle of the city (who knows what it's coupling to :). the signal can be received at over 600m distance with a small loop antenna near power lines, and is generally a nice indicator of underground conductive structures (this method is also used to find illegal tunels)

jacek