Re: LF: ARGO settings

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: ARGO settings
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 10:41:41 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Well, it all depends on the level of audio input and will need some
experimentation. The one thing I can say for certain is the 'AGC'
setting is far from optimum and not advised, especially when there is
a lot of QRN..

In my experience, the best results are when Argo is driven very hard
- the indicator on the left should be well into the red zone. My
input
level is so high that the visual gain is set to 'low' and the
Sensitivity
slider is almost at the far left.

Also, for best sensitivity to weak signals, set the controls so that
there is plenty of 'noise' on the screen. As an experienced operator
you will recognise that when digging out weak CW/SSB signals you need
to hear quite a bit of background noise.

Note that the best settings for weak signals may not be the best for
stronger signals or when there are big signals within your audio
passband.

See the attached for how my Argo looks. The straight lines are Loran,
the broader drifters are Plasma TVs.

Good luck

Mike, G3XDV