LF: Litz Wire and Class E

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Litz Wire and Class E
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 12:28:08 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Alan -

I think that using thicker Litz would lead to too big a coil now I've mounted things on a chassis, so have air cooled the existing one instead.   Its OK at teh moment, although I suspect summer temperatures would give a few problems.   In retrospect, I suspect using teh L-match wasn't too sensible, and were I to make another one would now use a ferrite transformer

The downside to combining the tank L with the L-Match network is this effect that minor changes to the coil lead to a quite fast increase in current (and power out), even though efficiency doesn't degrade noticeably much.    Its a very forgiving design once the waveforms are correct to start with - UNLESS L drops too much.  I blew the IRF452s on the original by idly playing with the coil when operating, and reduced L too much without monitoring Vd waveform and current.

My Vd peak is a bit higher than your spreadsheet suggests it should be - typically 220V from a 50V rail , but there are too many variables to tweak, all giving different Pout vs Vdd when optimised, and all at similar efficiency to want to play much more in that area.  With teh new IRFP360 devices efficiency is now at the point where accurate determination is not possible, and I've so far measured values from 80% up to 105% - so yes, perpetual motion is possible :-)    But the latter was before realising my Bird power attenuator is temperature dependent.    Think it  averages out in the upper 80's

Now I'm on the antenan and tweak the variometer minutely, I see current goes up with a slightly inductive load and down when L is reduced for a capacitive load.    Something that needs to be watched out for at max power settings  if rain / dry conditions are likely to detune the antenna.   However, if I keep to a 50v rail all should stay inside safe zones - but have tested it at 60v (the max the PSU can deliver) and was getting > 700 Watts into the dummy load at one point.

I did lose one new device - not from tuning overload, but because I was experimenting with turning RF drive on / off.  One of the TC4420 driver chips wasn't happy at this and popped, throwing the entire load onto just the remaining one of the two parallel FETs - which promptly blew.   So now, CW idents are out (no bad thing), or at least when generated by toggling RF in the source. Any on off keying must be done by switching power to the driver.

Mind you, any duty cycle less than 100% can never be an efficient way to communicate.  After all, average power just reduces!    If I was really forced to use CW, it would be FSK so therefore probably DFCWi.   (Unless a PA is thermal limited I suppose)

Andy