LF: Re: Recycling components

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Recycling components
From: "Martin Evans" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 17:36:10 -0000
Sender: [email protected]

I am restoring/rebuilding a vintage transmitter. The components such as wafer switches and variable capacitors are good quality ceramic but are very dirty.
Does anyone have advice on the best ways to clean these?.

Regards

Peter, G3LDO

I bought one of the Ultrasonic Cleaners from Aldi that were mentioned a few days ago.

Actually 550ml, not 750ml as advertised. £20 in round figures.

Available liquid depth is 35mm.

Tank is stainless steel with a plastic removable inner basket.

50w, 230vAC

Works a treat with warm water & a dash of Fairy liquid.

Tried it on an old ceramic-based knife switch. Cleaned up the ceramic beautifully.

The brass wasn't so impressive - removed the dust & grime, but obviously had little effect on the surface oxidation.

Martin GW3UCJ Swansea.