RE: LF: Re: Re: G3XBM - very long carrier VLF transmission test Dec 15th

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: LF: Re: Re: G3XBM - very long carrier VLF transmission test Dec 15th
From: Rik Strobbe <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 16:00:13 +0100
Accept-language: nl-NL, nl-BE
Acceptlanguage: nl-NL, nl-BE
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Roger,

73, Rik  ON7YD - OR7T

Van: [email protected] [[email protected]] namens Roger Lapthorn [[email protected]]
Verzonden: dinsdag 14 december 2010 15:41
Aan: [email protected]

Chris/Mal et al,

Certainly all my tests to date have been with what the US military calls "earth mode". This is propagation through the ground primarily by conduction and induction. What puzzles me, and some others, is that reception at a distance of 1 to 5.6km has been better using a loop antenna at the RX end rather than another pair of earth electrodes, suggesting the induction field is the stronger component. I am not an electromagnetic theory man and my physics is very rusty, so please excuse my ignorance here again.

Mal is partly wrong about the use of earth electrodes. These have been used by the US military for VLF/ULF/ELF radiated communication with submarines worldwide. They have also been rejected as not secure enough for purely through-the-ground communications between buried bunkers because of the radiated component in the air!

Where a very large "in the air" antenna structure is not practical, I suspect the results from an earth electrode are not that far down: on 136 and 500kHz even my small 20m spaced earth electrode antenna is less than 8dB down on the best "in the air" antenna I have so far managed to erect in my tiny plot of land.

My unanswered questions are:

1. Exactly what "helps" earth mode signals get as far as they do? I find it amazing that just a few watts into my system is detected so well so far away (5.6km best DX, but further is certainly possible in some directions yet to be checked).

2. How much signal is radiated in an earth mode set-up? With a signal that is probably induced into overhead cables and conducted along miles of pipework and cables in the ground, railway tracks and even natural structures like water courses and rocks, then surely a tiny proportion must be radiated. OK the radiated signal may be minuscule, but we have already seen that with very slow QRSS and the power of Spectrum Lab and similar it is possible to detect these weak signals at a considerable distance. The attenuation of the radiated component is far less than the induction field component (6dB rather than 18dB attenuation for double distance I believe to a first order). Does anyone know how to calculate the amount of RF radiated in an earth electrode antenna of given dimensions?

3. Assuming a very small amount of signal is radiated, what are the limits for amateur communications using earth electrode structures? With 100-200W and 600m long earth electrodes nearly 50km has already been achieved in Germany.

So, OK I'll be very lucky to be heard more than 10km away by anyone on Wednesday, but I have already been surprised many times on VLF/LF and it is not totally beyond the bounds of possibility that, with QRSS6000 or similar, detection at a moderate distance may be possible with a stable signal source (mine is questionable I know) and suitable weak signal detection techniques.

I continue to promote earth electrodes because, for me, they have worked. I do not deny that a large and well engineered vertical antenna would be better, but for many of us this is simply not an option.

Investigations, and the fun, continue...

73s
Roger G3XBM