LF: Earth Mode

To: "rsgb" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Earth Mode
From: "mal hamilton" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 15:52:17 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
LF
Although I am not intending to follow this persuit I am curious.
The confusion arises over the layout of the wires and is not made clear by anyone using the system as far as I know.
Two wires get a mention. Are they laid out across the ground like a dipole, random length and the far end earthed by an earth rod driven into the ground.
or
do the wires run in parallel and what distance apart
and
are the wires insulated, at the feed point how close are the wires, is a transformer used to match the amplifier of around 8 Ohms output to the wires and what impedence are the wires.
are the wires lying on the ground or slightly elevated ?
also
there is reference to buried pipes, elec wires etc enhancing the propagation properties of the signal but since this would be specific to the particular location
it cannot be relied upon as a statistic for a serious study how the earth mode works
As well as above there is a power consideration when trying to determin how far the signal would be received.
From information that I have the distance covered would be short, however if in some cases the wires were slightly elevated above ground even by a metre this could be considered an elevated antenna.
Could someone clarify all these ambiguites

I await some info
de g3kev