Re: LF: Re: Delays

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Delays
From: Roger Lapthorn <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 19:38:40 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=u4JYo/cVJM+EbYH+kQ9lQaC2sIGYoqPYRf3mkfisKkU=; b=gsZi6ZoAM6iS5AR2dLStwA9HdA0Zu+R8mcBDZU/WOqxrLC2Za7Dd4lVCOFPgvjsN/X DENzNrsXF17ICbEZmzTokGuS7HdRNswUmkxKU49CKtJpI7DnHR8Fd8hWsC2ZiiMO56ZW K2Yqf8PUzvTApIsKhDMP7x5zUkSyQLZOfos+U=
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Mal,

A question directed to me?

Well, I carried out another transmit test last week (out in the snow with earth electrodes/loop on RX) having done several earlier in November on 8.760kHz QRSS3.  I'm expecting to do further tests next week as the weather is now easing.  At present my activity is limited to earth mode conduction/induction, although I want to do a test using very long QRSS hoping that some more distant stations may detect any weak radiated component. I'll give good warning of this so people can be prepared.

Today I succeeded in just copying DK7FC on 8.97kHz for the first time (using just my 20m spaced earth electrode antenna structure) having managed to better understand the power of Spectrum Lab on very narrow settings locked in frequency to a VLF MSK station for frequency accuracy. Having seen how effective this can be, I'm encouraged to set up these long QRSS tests quite soon as I believe reception in the far field is a real possibility even with the low power I'm using.

In the coming 12 months other approaches will be looked at too. These include:
  • A balloon or kite supported vertical
  • Longer baseline earth electrodes (possibily /P on TX)
  • Higher power (up to 100W)
Experimentation on VLF can take many forms. Getting reports from real DX distances, such as 4X1RF today by Stefan, is a wonderful aim for some, but I'm quite content to take smaller steps and learn in the process. I've been greatly supported by people on this list who have accepted my great ignorance yet helped me on my way. Thank you everyone. I keep my website updated with any progress and news of tests; see http://sites.google.com/site/g3xbmqrp/Home/earthmode .

Mal, I doubt you'll ever detect me on VLF, but that does not mean I'm not experimenting, HI.

All the best

73s
Roger G3XBM