Re: LF: Re: Earth Antennnas - General question

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Earth Antennnas - General question
From: "Horst Stöcker" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 10:24:05 +0100 (CET)
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Mal,
I am not a great technician but even to me it seems clear, that it's an
obsolete discussion. I do not think that on this low frequencies (vlf) it makes
a remarcable difference if the wire is directly on the ground or not. Maybe in
theory but not in practice as you find grass, little bushes, rocks outside.
Also you can not assume equal ground conductivity underneath the antenna over
the whole distance. Regarding the wave length I assume even 6m should not make
a great difference.
In summer I did some local tests on 9kHz at Erpeler Ley near Bonn. No
sensations to talk about, but I have learned a few things about VLF antennas.
I took about 100m of wire, my dds, pa and the line transformer. First I took
the antenna as a Marconi (10m high, 90m top load). After that I connected the
other end with some ground rods. Then I took down the antenna so it was
directly on the ground. And after that I used it as a kite antenna.
Now you can bet on what had the best results regarding the near field with walk
around reception by ear. Of course it was the kite antenna. The ground antenna
did work rqually good or bad with no difference if lying directly on the ground
or elevated a few meters. Mounted Marconi style (10h 90t) was worst.
(Even on 500kHz there must be a point where ratio of height and top load of a
Marconi antenna gives the maximum result. The 10h 90t did work worse than my
10h 20t. I assume that the top load was coupling more hf to the ground than the
higher antenna capacity could result in radiation.)
Horst DO1KHS/DI2AN