RE: LF: VLF - G3XIZ

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: LF: VLF - G3XIZ
From: Rik Strobbe <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 18:49:14 +0100
Accept-language: nl-NL, nl-BE
Acceptlanguage: nl-NL, nl-BE
Sender: [email protected]
Chris, Jim,

congrats from me too.
Based on the locators distance would be 38km (centre to centre locator square).
About parallelling the balloon antenna and inverted L: as Stefan points out it
would only make sense if you can increase power till you got the same antenna
voltage as with the balloon antenna only. At consant power the parallelling the
inverted-L would decrease the radiated power.
Regarding the arcing: a vertical wire has a capacitance of about 6pF/m, so 50m
= 300pF or a reactance of 59 kOhm at 9kHz. Thus 0.2A antenna current wil give a
antenna voltage of almost 12kV !.
Some arcing may be expected at these voltages unless the antenna system is
isolated properly. Also the balloons might not like it (and plop).
And before replacing the helium balloon by a parafin powered hot air balloon:
1. a hot air balloon has to be considerably larger to get the same lift. Helium
has a 3.3 times larger lift capacity compared to hot air. In addition a hot air
balloon has to lift it's fuel, what again lowers the "load capacity".
2. check your insurance if it covers setting you neighbor's house on fire with
a hot air balloon. Most insurances do not cover dammage in case of of "foolish
behavior".

73 and HNY

Rik  ON7YD - OR7T