Re: LF: exciter for 137 and 500 kHz

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: exciter for 137 and 500 kHz
From: John Andrews <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2010 20:15:22 -0500
Sender: [email protected]

Andy,

I used that program when I did my 500 kHz exciter a few years ago. At the time, I went back to some old source material at work, and compared the hand-calculated results with the program. The two produced the same results, so the program is certainly OK.

You do raise an excellent point with component tolerances, however. For that filter, I used a very accurate Phillips digital RLC meter at work to select capacitors from a batch of 2% units that I had in stock. Armed with the measured capacitance, I hand-selected resistors from ample stocks of "close" 1% values to equal the reactance of the capacitors at the break points. The 10k0 resistors were already 0.1%, so I didn't bother trying to grade them out.

The resulting plot of phase vs. frequency may be seen at:
http://www.w1tag.com/pix/600M_Phase.jpg
As you noted, it does have a problem at the high end, probably due to the op-amp input capacitance, which was not considered. A mental note was made at the time!

The only schematic I can find is hand drawn, but using the program, the parameters were F1=100Hz, F2=3500Hz, C=10.0nF and 5 filters (per side, for a total of 10 op-amp sections. I tweaked the cap values to only use 100, 10 and 1 nF. The critical thing in tweaking is to maintain those breakpoint frequencies that represent Xc=R.

John, W1TAG