Re: VLF: Re: Detections of 5 microwatt transmission

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: VLF: Re: Detections of 5 microwatt transmission
From: "Markus Vester" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 15:44:07 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Wolf,

Paul was using his own dedicated receive software, with timestamps based on GPS 1pps pulses.

For transmitting, I employed SpecLab's signal generator, with samplerate tracking to 10 kHz from a Conexant Jupiter GPS module. For receiving, I normally lock to 19.58 kHz, which seems to give good stability (except for a minor glitch when the skywave dips before sunrise).

As far as I have seen, the UK MSK signals (19.58 kHz, 22.1 kHz), the Americans (24 kHz), and NWC (19.8 kHz, but too weak) seem to be phase coherent to GPS. DHO (23.4 kHz) is stable but about 2.7 ppb high. The French (HWU) and Turkish (26.7 kHz) are drifting and unusable.

The DK7FC grabber is also based on GPS 10 kHz, injected into the receive audio.

Best 73,
Markus (DF6NM)