LF: vlf experiments-numerical considerations

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: vlf experiments-numerical considerations
From: Piotr Mlynarski <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 07:45:08 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Dear LF Group, Dreamers

Recently, after 7th Stefan experiment on VLF band i came back to the numerical programme i have written few months ago which gives us some insight about the e-field strength produced by Stefan TX setup along with its kite antenna. Following Alan Melia suggestions concerning the ways of displaying results i have sent here few graphs illustrating the e-field strength vs distance
for a given frequency.

The programme has been written basing upon earth-ionosphere waveguide model proposed by
David F. Lowenfels:
http://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/handle/1721.1/16973/53712465.pdf?sequence=1
(again, i am grateful to Paul Nicholson for this link)
The numerical simulation covers wide range of frequencies starting from several Hertz up to 24 Khz with an assumption that EM energy is transmitted from vertical electric field antennae
( so it does apply to Stefan kite antenna )
By the time the code was almost completed i've promised to put here, on the reflector, the source code so everybody could play her/himself with it for specific purposes. It is written in Fortran and can be downloaded from:
http://www.toya.net.pl/~mlynarski/mpj.zip
( i am sorry that instead of two weeks it took me few months
to complete something which was almost completed - well, please, do not ask why ... :) ) Basically, the programme solves normal mode equations for the TEM mode propagation in a spherical waveguide ( eqns: 5.2 - 5.11 of Lowenfels paper). The numerical essence of the present source code is connected with the calculation of the Legendre Function of a complex degree "nu" where the complex "nu" accounts for the dispersive and dissipative properties of the earth-ionosphere waveguide. For that purpose I have used an algorithm described in Jones and Burke paper published in J.Phys.A: Math.Gen, Vol.23, 3159(1990) I did partial optimization of the fortran code , however, the used algorithm of zonal harmonic series expansion is very efficient itself so the program should work on modest PC machines and yet producing the final result in a reasonable time ( seconds of CPU time for , say, 1000 steps of frequency etc...)
After download and decompression the user will get 4 files:
propvlf.f
head.f
dane.dat
out.dat
The main fortran subroutine which calculates the propagation model is in propvlf.f file. The C(omment) lines at the begining of this subroutine describe its input/output formal parameters. The second fortran file head.f is a simple example of so-called main program showing how the subroutine is called with user defined numerical inputs ( dane.dat file) the out.dat file contains one line of numerical result which along with dane.dat file can be used
as a reference when adopting/testing the program.
Of course, the user can easily modify the header program by defining loops over frequency, distance with incremental steps
allowing for different graphical displays, presentations etc...
The code is rather portable (generic names were used for intrinsic functions) so basically any fortran compiler on most platforms should do its work without problems - if otherwise, please
contact me either on or off the reflector.

Finally, please, feel absolutely free to change, adopt, modify, add , delete etc.. any part of this code. I did it for our/dreamers/ purposes inspired by the wonderful (TX) work done by Stefan and others who do also a smart work of RX'ing. Unfortunately, i could not take part in 8th Stefan experiment, though i am preparing my RX stuff for the 9th one :)

73, Piotr, sq7mpj
qth: Lodz /jo91rs/