Re: LF: vlf experiments-numerical considerations

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: vlf experiments-numerical considerations
From: Jacek Lipkowski <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 09:10:21 +0200 (CEST)
Sender: [email protected]
On Sat, 30 Oct 2010, Stefan Schäfer wrote:

All very interesting, i cannot stop thinking about ;-)
Your plot_80km.png tells me that in 200 km distance (pretty close to DF6NM/DJ2LF/DK6NI/DJ6LB), 2500 Hz is the most suitable frequency.

i'm not sure how the model performs "close" to the antenna, and at 2500Hz 200km would be 1.6 wavelength :). you would really have to ask Piotr SQ7MPJ, he has the theoretical background

but from the graphs it would seem that for relatively "short" distances there is a frequency that gives the best field strength, and that this frequency increases with distance. for 904km this frequency is around 4kHz according to this model.

So, if i would use the 300m kite and switch a parallel capacitor to the loading coil, 3x the C of the kite wire (about 5 nF/ 30 kV), i could resonate on 2.5 kHz (crazy!). Although just 1/4 of the coils current would flow into the wire (< 12 dB losses) my signal would be stronger in that region! Ah, i have forgotten the lower radiation resistance of the 300m wire on this frequency,ok...

Oh dear, should we really try a 2.5 kHz test?

yes! and a 4kHz test

Another idea: It would be most interesting in a test on the earth antenna since there is no need to resonate it and the earth losses are almost independent of frequency! If the frequency decreases, the skip depth (and so the effective loop area) increases. This might partly compensate the decrease of efficiency.Wow! I will prepare such a test for the next week! :-)

please tell us what the frequencies will be. i have to make a bandpass filter beforehand

VY 73

Jacek / SQ5BPF